Video SEO or VSEO is optimizing video for YouTube, Yahoo Video and other internet video search engines.
There has been a 120% increase in video viewership compared to the last year as released by comScore. Internet habits seem to be changing and textual content is taking a backseat especially in countries where broadband connectivity speed is good.
Video optimization has caught on. Search engines rely on factors, such as metadata within the video file, inbound links and anchor text and some other factors to determine what the video is about.
Top 10 U.S. Online Video Brands, Home & Work
Total Streams (000)
Unique Viewers (000)
CNN Digital Network
Turner Sports and Entertainment Digital Network
Nickelodeon Kids and Family Network
CBS Entertainment Network
Fox Interactive Media
Consider These Factors
- Some video sites like Yahoo Video and Blinkx accept RSS or MRSS feed. You can enter a title, description, keywords and a full transcript. A full transcript can really prove useful in optimizing your videos.
- Some video search engines like YouTube, AOL Video, and Yahoo Video allow uploading of video to them. You can upload your video files to these sites by following the same process – enter metadata including a title, description and keywords. This step will prove helpful in optimizing your videos.
- Choose a popular format, such as .mov, .avi, or .wmv. From video SEO perspective it is not advisable offering the file in multiple formats. So, just make your selected version visible to the search engines, and offer it to all your visitors.
- Length of your video file should be reasonable (maximum 5 minutes). Your visitors may not like lengthy video files, unless your content is really compelling to keep them fully engaged.
- Smartly used thumbnails will help users decide which video to watch. A quick snapshot will help your visitors to decide which video they would like to invest their time on.
Give enough publicity and exposure to your video files. This will immensely help you in their optimization. Put your videos everywhere. Publicize your video files with proper RSS feeds. Get help from social book-marking tools to enhance the visibility of your videos. Embedding of your videos on other sites will give the desired exposure to your videos.
It is significant to optimize your video files to get traffic to your web site. Although video search is in its initial stage, it is indeed growing fast. With more and more users getting broadband access, video’s usage level will grow even faster. Adding videos to a website is becoming more popular concept.